November 23, 2012

The Happiness Project: Gretchen Rubin


    Again, late to the game here. This was published a few years ago and has gained momentum since though I know a lot of people who are just reading it now, so maybe not to far behind the curve. Besides, I can now go put and buy a used copy for a little less and still have it to refer to (this copy was from the library).

    Gretchen has a realization moment on the bus that life is just passing by and it's not that she is unhappy, but she could be happier.  She points out that she is not depressed, just that she could be happier. I actually appreciated that , in there are those (me at times) who really are depressed and you may needed help (prescriptions or something else) and that is a real illness. But, beyond depression we could all work on elements to just be happier with our lives. So, she made a list of things she wanted to work in goals to achieve and took a year to work on those items.

    Each chapter follows a month and what she worked on that month. She has commandments that she tries to remember as she works on her goals and figure out what she wants for herself.

    I personally enjoyed this book. I got it from the library and I am thinking of getting my own copy to mark up. I know there is some controversies about this book, many people have seem to have a problem with the authors personal life background and how she shouldn't be having issues with all the other stuff she has. Personally, I try not to judge books by the authors background. I enjoyed what was a written here and how I could relate to it. But, I am in my late 20's so maybe, it is something that I can relate to better than people at other parts of their lives.

    I personally found this book made me think. It made me think how I could use or how I react in some of the same situations and how my own situations are different. It stopped and made me think and I enjoyed that. I am going to keep thinking on things that I read here and may go back to review.

    This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it and would give it 4 stars.  Plus it seems fitting to post this the day after Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment