December 15, 2012

Unmasking Maya: Libby Mercer


Maya has left behind her past in NYC and is trying to make it in the art world of San Francisco. Part of leaving behind the scandal that haunts her she changes her name and mediums from fashion to art working with textiles in the art world. Getting a commission for an installation at a tech company in the Silicone Valley area. Derek Whitley, the CEO of the company, doesn't seem to like her work. Yet, he commissions Maya to do the work, and she is determined to make something that he will like, even if she doesn't understand his unemotional, robotic, workaholic ways.

As Maya and Derek work together and are thrown together with events around the commission they start to learn more about each other and breakdown the walls that each of them have built. But, as secrets are reveled will it bring them together or will to many secrets tear them apart.

I hadn't read a book on my ipad/kindle recently. So, I am not sure if this is related to that vs being a physical book, but once I got started on this book I just couldn't put it down and  wanted to keep reading. The book started with Maya having a secret that she kept even from the reader and it seems to take us the reader the whole time to kind of earn Maya's trust and find out all the secrets. Same with Derek, you feel like there is something more that Maya needs to find out and it takes us most of the plot to figure it out.

Something I did notice is that things in this book seemed to move really fast in terms of relationships/friendships. But, that worked here, I could appreciate how  it moved at a pace that worked for the characters.

I was a little concerned about this book since the description made it seem like a cliche romance, but I didn't find it that way at all. The characters were developed well and believable, in I didn't feel they became cliches. That I personally really appreciated and made it easier for me to recommend this book to others. I would give this book 4 Stars and suggest it to anyone looking for a quick fun read. I was advised it is being released soon and you should got check it out. Link is

I was provided a copy of this book by the author in exchange for a review, but the summary and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment