December 28, 2012

Helping Baby Sleep: The Science and Practice of Gentle Bedtime Parenting: Anni Gethin and Beth Macgregor


So, I know that this is a bit different then my usual reviews. But, I do read other types of books. Plus, I am not sure if I talked about it here yet, but I am 8.5 month pregnant right now. So, I am reading some parenting books and such to try and get ready for one of the biggest challenges of my life. I ordered a few books from the library and this was a place I started.

This book started out with why they suggest the version that they do and research they have again the opposite of what they suggest. What it seemed to come down to me is that the crying it out idea, letting babies just self sooth can cause issues for the kids later in life, and how hard it can really be for parents and children mentally. Then on how parents really need to be there for kids, listen and follow the clues the kids offer to you and what the clues are. Then different things that have worked for them and that they suggest or other things you can try.

There are some ideas that I will keep in mind from this book. But, it didn't really have a system to try, but that you should be sure to listen to your child and gave you kind of directions to go in. I think if I do run into specific obstacles this is something that you could go back to that would be helpful.

I did find myself feel at time in reading this, with wow there are a lot of things a parent can do that messes my kid up, which were more scary then reassuring so we shall see how that goes. I am glad I read it, but it just reminded me that I need to keep learning, especially when it comes to children there is always more to learn about.

I don't know if I would necessarily suggest this book and seek it out again, but am glad I read it and did glean some insight from it. 2.5 stars and I usually just round up, so 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment