October 12, 2012

The Wedding Beat: Dean Sipher


Gavin is a wedding writter for The Paper, as well as a hopeless romantic. Yet, he still finds himself single in his thirty's, attending weddings every weeken for work. With his Best Friend at a New Years party he meets the girl of his dreams, who he allows to get away without getting her number. He spends the next few months covering weddings looking for her and learning what he needs to do or should have done.

That is until he finds himself covering Melinda's, the girl who got away, wedding. With his job in balance and his heart on the line Gavin has some choices to make. What is the line he is willing to walk or cross and can he really do it.

Gavin in this piece is a bit like, James Marsden's character in 27 Dresses with Katherine Heigl. Which is actually refered to in the plot of this book. And in that comparison being made the character uses it learn about himself, which I could appriciate in using something that many characters in other movies would bring them down. He uses it to grow himself, without the self wallowing that wasn't needed.

For the most part for me this book felt like everything happened a little fast, like everything was on fastforward. Couples would get together and engaged in just a few days, married in just a few months. I personally don't know of any relationships going this fast, most people I know (and my own personal one) have been in relationships for years or at least a year before moving on to another step. I suppose to each their own, but this juts didn't seem beliveable to me.

I would give this book 3 stars. It was ok and I am glad that I took the time to read it. The character did grow through out the book. Overall, I don't feel I got much out of it more than an enjoyable read though.

No comments:

Post a Comment