October 16, 2011

Catching Alice: Clare Naylor


Alice has recently lost her boyfriend, her place to live, and her job. Crashing at her cousins' while he is out of town, she is spending  her time fielding his long lone of cast aside females who keep calling and dropping by. Everyone else's lives seem to be better than her. One day while out Alice runs into Tash, her former roommate from school who lives in LA now. Tash sweeps Alice off to LA and throws her into her glamours life. Alice gets a job in PR and Tash sets her up on a date. Someone has other plans for Alice though as she has a secret admirer. An admirer who some of her new friends think is a stalker and are jealous of, but Alice thinks it is just kind of romantic, at least right now.

A few places I have read said that this is a re-imagination of Alice in Wonderland. I didn't really see that, but maybe it is because I haven't read Alice in Wonderland and am only familiar with the movies, those I don't see as much in this plot.

This was really kind of a fish out of water story in my opinion. Alice is thrown in really the deep end of LA. Tasha works in film and they all end up going to dinners and on dates with others in the movie industry. Alice doesn't know the social etiquette and makes some mistakes. She makes her own way and chooses who and what she wants to do. Even when she is pulled the other way by her friends.

Personally, I enjoyed this book. I liked seeing Alice grow as a character and finally stand up for herself. It works out and comes together for her in a way that you knew it was building to something at the end that I didn't want to stop reading at the end. I would suggest this book for a classic chick lit story with out getting all lost in clichés that get lost in many of the modern or the plots that were found when things were just being turned out. But, I do see how some people see it as a bit stereotypical, I just think that it looks at in a different way and I enjoyed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment