March 30, 2013

Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality: Jacob Tomsky

Jacob Tomsky has worked in the hotel/hospitality industry since just out of college. Starting out as a Valet he moves his way up through housekeeping and ends up landing at the front desk, though he can tell you about all the other departments of a hotel.

A memories that says that it will give you insight into hospitality and how to get what you want at a hotel. Personally, that isn't really what I found or was interested in at the end of this book. I will tell you really want it all boils down to now, it is tipping. Drop a tip to the front desk person and you will be taken care of, at least according to Tomsky.

One of the reasons I was compelled to pickup this book is that for my day job I am a travel agent. Maybe, that is why I couldn't relate to working a front desk and how they can help you more than others in the industry. The other reason is that I like memories and I though this would be an interesting different perspective to read about. I liked it for the second aspect and appreciated Tomsky story about his personal experiences. I personally would lose all respect for the hospitality industry if I saw all of what he talked about going on and saw it everyday. But, I suppose that is what a tell all and peek into behind the scenes is about. I do believe it goes a little more extreme then most situations, but that is what makes it a fun and interesting read.

So, I would suggest this book to others as an interesting read, but take the advice in it worth a grain of salt, not forgetting your $20 of course. 3 Stars, but not something I would go back to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment