January 11, 2012

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School: Alexandra Robbins

I read Robbins first book Pledged, years ago and learned from it. I also read The Overachievers when it came out and Conquering Your Quarterlife Crisis. So, I was excited to see her new one The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth. Robbins' writing style is just one that really resonates and makes sense for me, though I know it doesn't work for everyone. 

This plot follows 7 main characters who are in the high school environment, who are all a bit on the outside or fringe of the cafeteria. She introduces and and we follow them through the year, while Robbins weaves research and information about quirk theory and how they apply to the characters. As we follow the characters Robbins issues a challenge for the characters to change something around the middle of the year. Then showing that and how the characters were able to change with the challenge. 

I personally loved this book. I wish there had been something like this out that I could have read when I was in school. It reminded me that there are/were others out there like me struggling and that was ok and I could succeed at other things. Which I personally appreciated and I think that it is a must read for teachers and I would suggest it to parents especially with kids middle school or older. I think it could be useful for kids that were struggling like the characters in the book too. 

This reminds me of Robbins' other books, something I might go back to reading again. I did feel like I learned and got insight into quirk theory from it. I would give it 5 stars and have already started suggesting it to others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment