May 2, 2012

The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe: J. Randy Taraborrelli


Every now and then I get in the mood to read a biography or and autobiography and this is what I choose to read this time.  In my opinion/experience there are two kinds of biographies. The one that make the life into a story and are almost more like autobiographies in they lead you through a life like someone living it would or might describe it. Or one that is more a collection of facts, put them into a chronological order for the reader, this is more informative and truths or what might be rumored about a famous person, but is not confirmed with that part noted.

My personal preference is for the first kind, probably why I usually read more autobiographies then biographies.  I think it is because I enjoy the stories of how people know each other and interact, the stories they tell. But, hearing it from one persons side I feel like you can relate to all of the people in the stories better.

Back to this book. Marilyn seems to be coming up in culture again right now and maybe, that is why I picked up the book right now.  I enjoyed the first 300 or so pages of this book. The paced moved well and more was explored then just what is kind of known about Marilyn. When it came to her childhood it was covered, but not over dwelled on (like some biographies can do in my opinion). I like how it rumors or possible untruths were presented and then how they could be true or weren't were handled. Most of this book felt like the first type of book for me. It had stories and gave me insight, but there were moments where it was just facts listed off.

I did finally make it through to the end of the book. Part of it could be that everyone knew she was fading at the end, and the build up was hard to read. But, then it was anticlimactic at the end. It was just kind of an inevitable thing.

Overall, I am glad that I read the book and do feel like I got some insight into who Marilyn Monroe was as a person. I wouldn't go back to it again though. So, I would give it three stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment